Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thankful Heart Day 1 - Honest Friends

Last year, I spent the month of November concentrating on building a thankful heart. Too often, I fail to thank the Lord for His goodness in my life, regardless of the circumstances. This year, I would like to start this again...30 days of a Thankful Heart.

Today, I am so thankful for my community group...

"Faithful are the wounds of a friend;  profuse are the kisses of an enemy." (Proverbs 27:6)

I gotta be honest...accountability sucks. I mean, it is awful. And I'm not talking about accountability for something I'm doing wrong. I'm talking about accountability for something I want to do right. But, check that verse out:

Faithful are the WOUNDS of a friend. 

Not the hugs of a friend or the compliments or encouragements of a friend, although I like all that. Nope. That verse is incredibly clear about pain inflicted by a friend. But the shocker is that those wounds are not the result of a broken friendship but a faithful friend, one who loves you and wants your best. 

Community isn't comfortable. In fact, it is very uncomfortable. But, I am safe and loved in that uncomfortable feeling because I know these women are running hard after Jesus. Therefore, I can trust them. I would rather have women in my life who tell me the blunt truth and encourage me in the right way than those who are so worried about my initial defensive reaction that they coddle me.

Tough love is better than selfish, kind words. Day 1? So thankful for blunt honesty and unconditional love in community. I pray we continue to sharpen one another.

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment