Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankful Heart Day 16 - When I wanted to run...

Time for Five Minute Friday where a whole bunch of writers virtually gather to share our stories. Today's word?

STAY

Three years ago, my goal was to run. Run as far away from Texas as possible. Don't get me wrong...I'm a die hard Texan, born and bred, and true as they come. But I wanted escape from everything familiar - a total fresh start.

So naturally, God closed every door outta here. One right after the other. Frustrated is an understatement. Presently thankful is also an understatement.

I wanted to run from broken friendships.

The Lord said STAY, and now I wouldn't trade the community of men and women my age who love me and run hard after Christ.

I wanted to run from my future, create my own.

The Lord said STAY, and I found a Christian mentor who helped me finish a book that is about to be published.

I wanted a fresh start, to reinvent myself, or the bitter girl I had become.

The Lord said STAY and used old and new friends to help heal my heart. Then he dropped me right back in the church I grew up in as a staff member doing what I love - writing.

To say that His plans are better than mine is also an understatement. I am so thankful that my God does not give me all the desires that I think my heart wants. He makes me STAY and wait for what is even better. Master story teller right there. And He's still writing mine.

26 comments:

  1. What a great plan he has for you. Great testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "He makes me STAY and wait for what is even better." So good. I wrote about God asking me to stay too. I like to run ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to run once and God had me stay so I could be broken. I relate to this idea of wanting to run and create your own future. I still sometimes try to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I wanted to run from..." Have so been here in the place of ready to run friend. Knowing that His plans are so much better than mine today. Thank you for sharing your story. Beautiful. (and can't wait to read your book) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay yay yay yay yay I celebrate without cease. Hallelujah for His goodness and your trust and faithfulness. I know (from my own personal experience) that neither of those responses come easily nor every day through the process. But they are the theme for you did stay. In Him.


    SO GLAD you were at the "party" tonight. So happy you're a fellow Texas girl with a giant heart and a love of the written word. Loved chatting tonight. Can't wait to do more of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so true...I cannot imagine what my life would be like if he gave me the desires of MY heart! This is truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dropping by through FMF. What a beautiful testimony to God's plan, so much bigger and better than we ever imagine, and His grace, to make us stay when we want to run. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dropping by with FMF. I went to Texas Tech for my masters! God's plan for me has also including staying when I wanted to run. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here from FMF. He's told me to STAY this year, too. And boy, has it been hard. But I know it will be worth it because it is His plan, and not mine. He has been and will continue to be faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog through FMF and I was struck by the similarity of our "stay" posts. I can genuinely understand the feeling of wanting to run from the now to build something new. Thank you for sharing so honestly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I left a comment a few minutes ago...but I don't think it stuck for some reason. So I'm sorry if I suddenly have 3 comments with the same message! I found your blog through FMF and I was struck by the similarity of our "stay" posts. I can genuinely understand the desire to run from the now to pursue something new. Thank you for writing so honestly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What blessings you found in listening and responding and staying. So inspirational!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How amazing to get to see the big picture. What a rare gift from God that is! Congratulations on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thankful that when we want to run, the Lord whispers "stay" then unfolds His plan and purpose! Visiting from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is such a great way to put. It is those sweet nothings that the Lord whispers in our ear that inspire the courage to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not always easy, but always worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes it "feels" easier to recreate ourselves than be who God made us to be where He has currently placed us. Stay the course. I'm with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  18. More than anything, that is the character trait that I have come to understand about the Lord - He is faithful and He loves us dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always love to meet a fellow Red Raider!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isn't it humbling that He still chooses to work through us, even when we want to run?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kindred spirit, for sure! So thankful for this community and the reminders through these tiny words.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, Wendy! Slowly the decision to stay comes easier the more I learn to trust Him. I'm so thankful for His patience.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brokenness is ALWAYS the result, but He also brings beauty from that brokenness.

    ReplyDelete