Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankful Heart Day 15 - Music

I am a music lover. My life revolved around choir and band growing up. But I love all genres and styles of music.

Today, I am so thankful for the beautiful gift of music!

Music...

changes my mood
is a form of worship
makes me smile
comforts
connects
inspires
challenges
calms
motivates
teaches



The Lord tells us to make a joyful noise before Him. He created music to be a method of praising Him, something beautiful to His ears. We don't always use it correctly.

I think J.R.R Tolkien described God's intention for music beautifully in The Silmarillion. This book is known as "The Elven Bible" to Tolkien enthusiasts. It is the prequel to Lord of the Rings and basically describes the creation of Middle Earth and the elves. It is like the book of Genesis, complete with a God-figure and a devil-figure. In this book, the God-figure creates the world and the elves with music. So Melkor, this devil-figure, decides to use music to trump God's creation. I love the way the God-figure responds:

"And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.” 

Even music that is meant to dishonor the Lord is not as beautiful as the kind meant to praise Him. What an awesome promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment