Friday, November 4, 2011

Day 4 - Creativity

I love to work with my hands, and I love a good story. So, usually I combine the two. Whether I'm creating a story in my head or watching one on television, my hands stay busy. Writing, photography, working with color - it doesn't matter. Creativity is my way to relax.

After reading the creation story, I am convinced that the Lord loves to make something beautiful out of nothing. He even loves to make something beautiful out of what has been broken. Both are seen in His Word, and both take a Master Artist.

But, creativity is more than allowing your mind to go wild with possibilities and then throwing things together. To make something that fulfills its purpose, the creator must be both architect and engineer. I discovered this first-hand today. Or, maybe I just identified it for the first time when I worked with a family friend to put together a quilt.

I thought it would be easy.

It was anything but easy!

Each seam had to line up precisely, each stitch had to be straight, the fabric couldn't pull, and each piece had to be exactly even. Sounds simple, right?

I wish!

Over the course of a few hours, something began to emerge out of nothing, but it wasn't without careful planning and detailing. If the seams are off, the quilt will not look appealing and will be much harder to complete later.

This process really made me appreciate the care the Father took when creating me and you. He spent nine months making sure each piece of me was seemed just so. He fashioned my brain and heart and the traits and personality and gifts that make me me. And He did that with you, too. Even if you feel flawed, He didn't mess up. He designed you as a masterpiece for His glory.

So, today, I am thankful for creativity and a God wasn't satisfied with easy, but determined to make a masterpiece out of all of His creation.

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10

What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment