Sunday, November 27, 2011

Day 27 and 28- The Urge to Write

Only a couple more days left in November. It's impossible to cram what I'm thankful for into a couple days. Cicero said, "A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all the other virtues." Hopefully, this month has built a habit that I will continue to practice long after this month ends.

Today, I'm thankful for hypergraphia, or an overwhelming urge to write. I didn't even know there was a word for this condition, but thankfully I experience it without all the negative side effects. Last January, I began a course through the Christian Writers Guild to expand my writing skill while working one-on-one with a mentor, DiAnn Mills. She has been a Godsend, constantly coaching, encouraging, and pushing me to be better and stay true to who I am and my heart to write.

In the past year, I  attended a residency with DiAnn, Jerry Jenkins, and Doc Hensley, completed a lesson and phone chat with DiAnn every month, finished a book, and submitted it. And somewhere in the middle of all that, I regained my confidence, my joy in writing, and my creativity that disappeared for a year after college. Thanksgiving night, I was up after midnight because a story idea would not let me sleep until I recorded it.

I'm so thankful for the urge to write. Though I still have to develop it, the skill comes naturally to me. I'm thankful  that the Lord created me uniquely with this ability. I'm thankful for others who love to write and form a community I can encourage and call on for encouragement. I don't know what's next, but I commit to writing because it's how I'm wired and will allow the Lord to handle the results. Thoughts are rattling around in my head, so it's time to record them!

I'm thankful the Lord equips us all with different skills. What do you have the urge to tackle? How has the Lord gifted YOU?

I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment