Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Live Inspired - The Power of TEAM


"One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team."  Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Did you know today is National Encouragement Day?

Nothing is more encouraging than the unity and passion of a team. You become like those you surround yourself with. I am part of several teams: family, work, community. But there is one that I am very thankful for today....

We affectionately call ourselves Team Sidewalk. Our team volunteers at our young adult service every Tuesday night. We have two jobs: host and welcome every person who enters before the service, and pray with, encourage, listen, and share the gospel with people after the service.


A couple of weekends ago, we took a 24-hour retreat and walked away stronger and encouraged. Encouragement is so key on a team. These people...
  • are passionate about sharing the gospel
  • love every person who enters our doors
  • relentlessly challenge one another
  • look for the best, forgive the worst, encourage change and growth
  • speak the truth of God's word
  • pursue people to show them Jesus
  • are honest and authentic with themselves, our team, and those we speak with
  • desire to honor the Lord in all we do
  • desire to build unity on our team and make the most of every person's strengths
  • realize that their stories are not their own
  • practice servant leadership by humbling themselves, even in difficult moments
These people show me Christ. When I'm discouraged, they encourage. When I am confused, they point me to Christ. When I am worn out, they walk with me and help me persevere. When I'm excited, they celebrate with me. When I am broken, they pray for me.

Because of their encouragement and example, I learn weekly how to live more like Christ. The Lord didn't create us to live in isolation. We were meant to be part of a team, a community. Who is running with you and making you better? Who are you encouraging and challenging? Don't miss out on this beautiful journey with the people in your life!

"Then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose." Philippians 2:2

No comments:

Post a Comment