Sunday, September 16, 2012

Dream Big - When Dreams Break (Part 2)

As Americans in this generation, we have an awful sense of entitlement. I can't tell you how many times I have thought or said that I haven't done anything wrong so I deserve to have good things. I can't count how many times I have heard it said by friends and family. The fact is, we aren't owed anything.

When our dreams break, our first reaction should NEVER be anger with God. But let's face it, that is usually our exact response. Why isn't God answering my prayer? Doesn't He want good things for me? Why won't He give me what I want? After all, I'm a good person!

If this is your heart, you need a serious reality check, friend. That isn't the God of the Bible. He rarely promises to give us what we want. He does promise to give us good things, but His version of good things is VERY different from ours. He does desire to use us in great ways, but often that means dying (literally or figuratively depending on where you live) or suffering for His glory.

When we wonder why things aren't working out, why He isn't fulfilling the dreams we think He has placed in our hearts, we MUST look at His character and realign our attitudes.

Who is He in your brokenness?

Ruins of an old abbey in Bury St. Edmunds, England

He RESTORES
"I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter, my great army, which I sent among you. You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, who has dealt wondrously with you." Joel 2:25-26

"He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake." Psalm 23:3

"Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins and will raise up the age-old foundations; you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls, Restorer of Streets with Dwellings." Isaiah  58:12

He HEALS and REBUILDS
"Come, let us return to the Lord; for he has torn us, that he may heal us; he has struck us down, and he will bind us up. After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will raise us up, that we may live before him. Let us know; let us press on to know the Lord; his going out is sure as the dawn; he will come to us as the showers, as the spring rains that water the earth.” Hosea 6:1-3

"'But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds,' declares the LORD, 'because you are called an outcast, Zion for whom no one cares.'" Jeremiah 30:17

"They shall build up the ancient ruins; they shall raise up the former devastations; they shall repair the ruined cities, the devastations of many generations." Isaiah 61:4

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound." Isaiah 61:1

He is FAITHFUL
"...by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire." 2 Peter 1:4


"If we have died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him; if we deny him, he also will deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithfulfor he cannot deny himself." 2 Timothy 2:12-13
He has a PURPOSE
"...so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. This was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through our faith in him. So I ask you not to lose heart over what I am suffering for you, which is your glory." Ephesians 3:10-13

Never doubt that He still cares in your seasons of questioning and wondering. His plan is beautiful. He is faithful. The decision to trust Him will lead to the biggest adventure of your life.

1 comment:

  1. Kariss, wonderful post. Powerful. But that's what the Word of God is: " . . . powerful for the breaking down of strongholds."

    DiAne

    ReplyDelete