Monday, March 25, 2013

Crazy Lesson Day 1: Hold Things Loosely

You may have heard it said that we need to "stop the glorification of busy." Well, at the moment, I have  no choice. So, I've decided to learn from it instead.

Lesson 1: Hold things loosely.

In the past week, I have wrecked my car, had to redo several work projects, said goodbye to a friend, had a melt down with my community group, and come down with a cold.

Basically, I kissed my transportation, work achievement, relationships, emotional sanity, and physical health goodbye.

I'm pretty sure I place high value in all those things. Unfortunately, I appreciate some of them only when they are gone. In this crazy season, I'm learning to hold these things loosely. Thank goodness for rental cars, second chances, cold medicine, and the fact that life goes on.

In Haiti, I remember thinking that people had maybe one change of clothes, didn't always know where their next meal would come from, and lived under a leaky roof yet worshipped God with their whole hearts. To hear them call God "Provider, Lord, Friend, Good" humbled me. Most of my issues are first world problems. Pathetic on my part.

My car is a blessing. My job is a gift. My friendships are eternal investments. And my health enables me to be my best. I'm not guaranteed any of them tomorrow.

Practical application: Seek the Lord. Develop a thankful heart.

He is good. He knows the plans He has for me. He heals bodies and relationships and provides for my needs. None of this past week's circumstances surprised Him. They just knocked me for a loop.

"Do not boast about tomorrow for you do not know what a day may bring." Proverbs 27:1

Who knows what other lessons I'll learn in this crazy season....


No comments:

Post a Comment