Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Fun. "Some Nights" Defines a Generation

In the mornings, I typically avoid chatter on the radio at all costs, so I channel surf. Many times, I land on one of the pop or alternative stations. The lyrics are catchy. The music is addicting. And the artists are the walking dead.

Yeah, you read that right.

Fun.'s "Some Nights" describes my generation perfectly, and the lyrics reverberate in my head. Driving through a small Texas town last weekend, a convertible full of 20-somethings raced by with this song blaring through the square. My heart sank.

Photo Credit: The Porch at Watermark
"What do I stand for? Most nights I don't know." What an empty lyric. What a heartfelt cry of a generation for something, anything of meaning. The perception is that good doesn't get you anywhere and life is full of heartbreak that can have a beautiful outcome, but it's rare and faint.

Oh, how I hurt for my generation, many who grew up in split homes with an absent father.

The generation more comfortable with living together before marriage than marrying because they have seen the heartache of ugly divorce.

The generation who still hasn't quite grown up because adults were absent in many of our lives as children.

The generation that has a desire to make a difference but often lacks the commitment.

The generation driven by passion which often drives us to painful addictions.

The generation in desperate need of purpose, worth, and meaning,

A generation who needs to know that their Heavenly Father loves them, and wants to take their passions and use them for His glory.

A generation of "accidental" parents who forget that a quick fix to a surprise pregnancy has future consequences.

My heart breaks, and this song perfectly defines us. Oh, how we need Jesus. Imagine if this passion, this desire, this incredible urge to make a difference and be something was met by a relationship with Jesus. Man, Gen Y could change the world.

It looks so overwhelming when I look at my generation as a whole. But when I focus on sharing the gospel and pouring into one at a time, I see hearts changed and passion whole-heartedly pursuing a God-sized calling. We are changing the world. We are shaking our generation. Maybe one day, it will have a lasting impact.

Some of the lyrics from Fun.'s "Some Nights"...


This is it, boys, this is war - what are we waiting for?

Why don't we break the rules already?

I was never one to believe the hype - save that for the black and white

I try twice as hard and I'm half as liked, 
but here they come again to jack my style



And that's alright; I found a martyr in my bed tonight

She stops my bones from wondering just who I am, 
who I am, who I am

Oh, who am I? Oh, who am I? mmm... mmm...



Well, Some nights, I wish that this all would end

Cause I could use some friends for a change

And some nights, I'm scared you'll forget me again
Some nights, I always win, I always win...


But I still wake up, I still see your ghost

Oh Lord, I'm still not sure what I stand for, oh

What do I stand for? What do I stand for?

Most nights, I don't know... (come on)



So this is it? 
I sold my soul for this?

Washed my hands of that for this?

I miss my mom and dad for this?

No comments:

Post a Comment