Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Crazy Lesson 6: My Best is my Version of Perfection


I'm learning lessons in a crazy season...

Lesson 6: Rough seasons and decisions are mountains to climb, not hills to die on.

I have often read the quote, "It's not a bad life, just a bad day." Well my life isn't a bad anything. Some days are more frustrating than others. Some days are incredibly sweet and fulfilling. It is a choice to find joy in both, and that is an ongoing challenge for me.

With this busy season at work, with responsibilities, friends and family, and my book deadline looming, it is so easy to lose sight of the blessings. It is also easy to strive so hard for perfection that the details become tiny hills I live or die by instead of mountains I climb over and move past.

I will often look at my work and be disappointed, not because it isn't done well, but because I feel like I didn't do enough. Man, is this a lie that I have to move past. I can't and never will be perfect. I also can't and never need to EXPECT perfection.

I wrote a lot of short stories in college, and to this day, when I go to reread them, I STILL find typos. I've probably read them 20 times. Epic fail. I've wondered why my professors didn't fail me, but they looked past the tiny mistakes to the heart of the story. That was where I poured my effort and my soul. That's what they chose to grade and reward, which I greatly appreciate. There is something to be said for the area where I need to improve, but there is much more to be said for doing my absolute best, being satisfied with that, and then continually striving to grow and improve.

Application: Perfection isn't an option, but my best can be my own version of perfection. And that's good enough for me...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment