Thursday, August 9, 2012

Live Inspired - Friendship

"The most beautiful discovery true friends make 
is that they can grow separately without growing apart."


I spent last weekend in Missouri with one my best friends, Ashley, who I haven't seen in over two years. It was a beautiful weekend of laughter, new memories, reminiscing, and even a few tears.

This week, I am incredibly inspired, blessed, and humbled by God's sovereignty in placing certain people in our lives. I loved hearing Ashley tell her family and friends about our initial uncertainty about one another, our glaring differences, and yet the beautiful, strong friendship He has grown over the last three years. 

Ashley was my roommate at Focus on the Family Leadership Institute the summer the Lord changed my life. She survived my rough edges, anger, and insecurities by constantly challenging me, loving me, and encouraging me. There aren't many people who would have stuck around through all that. And she continues to pour into my life to this day. Since that summer, our relationship has been built through very long phone calls, scattered Skype dates, and a handful of letters, cards, and mix CDs. 

This woman loves the Lord and runs hard after Him. She quit her job to start law school and begins her second year in just a few weeks! I'm so proud of her and so honored to love and support her from miles away. The Lord knew exactly what He was doing when He placed us in the same room - an early riser and night owl. This girl speaks truth into my life and loves me in spite of myself. I can't wait to see what the Lord does in our relationship on this long journey to eternity. 

Despite tearful goodbyes, with some friends, goodbyes are never final. They simply mean "see you soon."

2 comments: