Monday, July 30, 2012

Dream Big - Sacrifice Like An Olympian

Along with the rest of the world, I am thoroughly immersed in the Olympics. I mean...I record everything while I'm at work and watch to the point of exhaustion at night. Pathetic or inspired? I'll let you decide.

During these glorious moments of down time, couch-sitting, and knocking out my every-growing to-do list, I noticed a reoccurring theme among these athletes:

"You must sacrifice yourself in order to achieve greatness."

Wow! What in the world does that look like? Well, on a daily note, it means that I stop grabbing a few M&Ms every time I pass my coworker's office so I can develop the abs of Ryan Lochte. Scary thought, right? You get the point. I want to take care of my body, so I need to sacrifice the fleeting desire to accomplish the bigger goal at hand - be in shape and feel great.

What does this look like on an even more important level? What does sacrifice mean in terms of my dreams? My writing dream is no different than the Olympians. It just requires different tools and a different diet.

Less TV and more books that increase my skill and my creativity.
Get up earlier or stay up later to spend more time writing.
Take a shorter lunch break.
Say "no" to hanging out with friends a couple nights a week.
Maybe learn to like coffee to accomplish all these.
Take vitamins, work out, and eat right to feed my mind and body so I can write well.
Spend time out of my office to get an accurate feel for how people really react to things.

I could go on, but I'm getting overwhelmed. Dreams require sacrifice. Before sacrifice, you must determine that quitting is not an option and that your dreams are worth the price. Are you dreams as big as the Olympic athletes? Are you willing to train as they do to reach the finish line? Dream big with me!

What can you do TODAY to take a step closer to your dreams? Sacrifice starts NOW!

2 comments:

  1. Kariss, I too have been immersed in the Olympics. And you are right, we must train and sacrifice to be the writers God has called us to be. My struggle comes in spending more time in the Word. I'd love to sit down and pound the keys but unless I sit quietly before the Lord and listen to Him first, my writing will be hollow and insignificant.

    DiAne

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this message!! and we can see the results of effort....
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    my kids are glued to the TV...great learning experience all around!

    ReplyDelete