Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Countdown to Haiti - 3 Days

As I count down the days until we board the plane for this tiny country, I want to share with you ways the Lord is working in me to prepare to serve in Haiti. Today's focus? "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength."

A FOCUSED MIND


My brain ALWAYS goes 90 miles to nothing. Even when I sleep. I sometimes wish there was an off-switch. As I prepare to leave, it is running twice that speed, and I think the enemy is attacking me more in this area than all the others.

Colossians 3:23 says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." Currently, my brain is sitting on a runway waiting for the rest of me to board the plane so I can leave for Haiti. But, I'm not there yet. There are people counting on me at work to finish projects and finish them well. I can't do that to the best of my ability if I am already checked out.

So, I feel guilty. Where's the balance between preparing myself to leave, yet being completely present at work or at my other responsibilities?

Again, I don't know the answer. I'm praying for a focused mind to finish strong this week, to think of my coworkers and do my best so I don't leave them completely short-handed next week. I need to remember that my work is a reflection of my character. I want to autograph everything I do with excellence.

That also means that when Friday at 5pm rolls around, I need to leave what I am incapable of completing in capable hands and focus on Haiti. The Lord knows exactly how He wants to use me in Haiti. I selfishly want to prepare. While I'm here, I need to be 100% here. Not because I'm proving something to my boss or my coworkers. Not because I'm the only one who can accomplish these projects, because others are more than capable. But, I have been given a responsibility, and the Lord says to do it with my whole heart and mind. I'm doing it for Him, all for His glory.

Saturday at 9:15am, I will board a plane and focus my mind on loving the Haitians because everything else pales in comparison. I'll leave the worries and stress and other responsibilities in the hands a big God and pray that He does big things on this trip.

But, let's be honest...Friday at 5 needs to hurry up!

No comments:

Post a Comment