Thursday, June 16, 2011

Legacy


Listen to this song by Nichole Nordeman as you read the post. Copyright belongs to her.

I am the product of a legacy. Growing up, I attended First Baptist Dallas. For those who grew up there, we are FBD children. It is our heritage. It is something special. This past week I returned to this church, no longer a member of the children's or youth group, but as a young adult and counselor over what I was once a part of. It was an interesting balance. Several of the teachers who once had me in youth group were counselors, as well. I found myself continually going to them for advice and seeking the wise counsel of these weathered veterans who have stuck through multiple youth pastors, teenage attitudes, and apathetic hearts. All because they love this ministry and they love the kids.

After spending this week with them, I realized something: I am a product of their legacy. My eighth grade Sunday school teacher, Mrs. White, was one of the counselors I continually went to. After the first day, I was feeling particularly drained. I went up to Mrs. White, hugged her neck, and thanked her for her patience and love for students despite their disrespect and attitudes.

Mrs. White and Ms. Darwin - my teachers since 8th grade.
She looked at me and one of the other counselors  (also an FBD kid) and said, "Y'all make it worth it. When you come back to serve these kids and the lessons you have been taught stick, you remind me why I do what I do."

I am part of her legacy.

One of the camp pastors asked the students one night, "When you get to heaven, will there be people waiting for you thanking you for the impact and influence you had in getting them there?" I began to wonder what my legacy will be. Am I putting time and effort into things of eternal significance? 

 Matthew 6:19-20 says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." Will there be people when I get to heaven that thank me as I thanked Mrs. White for pouring into them and not giving up regardless of the circumstances?

I'm 23 and I want to leave a legacy, not for my glory but so that it brings glory to the One who made me...Jesus Christ. The things I invest in now are building an eternal legacy.

What will your legacy be?

No comments:

Post a Comment