Monday, June 13, 2011

Florida

I spent this past week in Panama City, Florida with 200 teenagers for a beach camp. The theme of the week was connection. While the word got REALLY OLD by Friday, I loved watching the teenagers connect with a Kenyan child who they wrote and sent virtual pictures to throughout the week. The kids learned they have a voice and the ability to make an impact.

PURPOSE
DIFFERENCE
IMPACT
CONNECTION
SUCCESS
DREAMS
RELATIONSHIPS

These words define this generation. They want to make a difference. They want purpose. They want to connect and make relationships with those around them. They want to see success and experience dreams coming true. And they need to be told they can do it. They need to be told that they are not too young or inexperienced or incapable. They need to be equipped and trained and encouraged. An older woman told me that I could not write or make an impact because I am too young. Her words crushed me. I struggled to motivate myself each time I sat down to write because her words rang in my ears. Our words impact these kids for better or worse.

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12

I am not far removed from the experiences of these teens but I learned about life and love and desire and need for relationships and encouragement from them this week. I love what Jeremiah 1 says to those who are young and feeling inexperienced. The chapter is a conversation between this young prophet and the Lord...

“Alas, Sovereign LORD,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.”

But the LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.  Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the LORD.

Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.” 

 “Get yourself ready! Stand up and say to them whatever I command you. Do not be terrified by them, or I will terrify you before them.  Today I have made you a fortified city, an iron pillar and a bronze wall to stand against the whole land—against the kings of Judah, its officials, its priests and the people of the land. They will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the LORD.  

The Lord called Jeremiah to go and speak truth to Israel and Jeremiah told the Lord he was scared because of His youth. The Lord equipped him to do BIG THINGS and then promised to NEVER LEAVE HIM. I pray that the youth on this trip claim who they are in Christ and allow Him to do big things through them as they grow to love Him more. I pray for you as you do the same, no matter your stage of life. He didn't call us to sit on the sidelines but to live abundantly and follow wherever He leads.

Seeking to do big things with you,
Kariss

No comments:

Post a Comment