Monday, February 21, 2011

Hot Stuff


If I entered "Survivor," I wouldn't last 24 hours. Let's face it...that is not my thing. And camping? Also, not my thing. Don't get me wrong, I love being outside. It's where I find the most inspiration

Two years ago, I went on a camping trip in the Colorado mountains over the fourth of July weekend with 30 plus college students. We took tents, sleeping bags, clothes, and big expectations. The trip went from bad to worse. Two cars full of girls got stuck in the mud on a deserted trail, it rained the whole time, and we forgot the hot dogs. By the way, college boys without food are not pleasant, to put it mildly.

Despite the rain, lack of food, and cold temperatures, I never had more fun. It was the best/worst camping trip I have ever been on. The upside? We had a roaring bonfire that provided heat, light, and melted chocolate for smores. We gathered around the blaze and sang, laughed, told stories, and enjoyed fellowship. When we woke up in the morning, it was still burning. It withstood the rain, the cold, attempts to put it out. It still blazed. It was a focal point, a means of provision, sustenance, and survival.

Hebrews 12:29 calls the Lord "an all-consuming fire."  He is our Provider, Sustainer, and our source of fellowship. He is what we center around, and he is the only One who withstands the elements and storms of life. He turns a miserable, cold, wet weekend into a time of beauty and fond memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment