Monday, December 3, 2012

Dream Big - Problem with Comparison

Comparison is the thief of joy. It is also the thief of dreams.

While I wrote my first book, I began every writing day praying that the Lord would give me His words, not mine.

Now, I'm working on book 2, and comparison is robbing me of my ability to be effective. I second guess myself every time I sit down. As ideas fall into place, I get excited until it comes to execution, and then i wonder what in the world I'm doing.


In reality, I know I can do this. I know I'm capable of creating something beautiful when I let go. But I look at other writers and wish I could write as eloquently or as creatively. BIG PROBLEM! Comparison steals my confidence, and my writing is mediocre instead of full and rich.

We live in a society of comparisons. If he is succeeding in business by enacting a particular strategy, then I should do that as well since it clearly works. In reality, that strategy may work for that guy, but I'm a different person. I attract a different audience with a different message, style, and voice. I have to do what fits my audience.

I have to be ME.

In order to do my best, I must remember to see myself as my Heavenly Father sees me. I must be who He created me to be. I can learn from the success of others. I can learn from their victories and defeats. I can learn from their style and gifts. But I must use that to shape and make me better, instead of becoming a cheap imitation. No one goes to the museum to see a copy of the Mona Lisa. Everyone wants to see the original.

Here is my prayer for book 2..."But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light." (1 Peter 1:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment