Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Beauty of Change


It is in my nature to be the biggest optimist or the biggest pessimist, the biggest realist or the biggest idealist, the biggest romantic or the biggest cynic. Depends on the situation. Just goes to show the warring of our sin nature with our redeemed nature (Galatians 5:17). But lately, I am making the point to see the beauty in everything, and right now, I am enraptured by Fall (romanticizing, idealizing, pick one). Usually, Spring is my favorite season...new life, new things, everything green, gorgeous flowers and trees...but Fall has captured me this year. And I wondered...why is that?
My mom loves Fall. We would walk through the neighborhoods and crunch through the leaves when we were little kids. We would take the prettiest ones home and use them to decorate the table as the centerpiece. But this year, it has struck a special chord with me. Spring may be the season of new beginnings, but Fall is the season of change. One thing is passing away for something else to be born a couple of months later.
I feel like this season of my life is a lot like Fall. Something is passing away. People, moments, places that have defined my life the last three and a half years are falling away, coming to an end. I am preparing to say goodbye and step into the unknown and a season of new beginnings. This season of my life is one of change and transition.
Change is difficult for me. I like my comfort zone. Who doesn't? But change also excites me. I love seeing everything green in the Spring, but I know that in order for that to happen, the leaves now have to change color, fall, and decompose. They turn such beautiful colors, though, before they fall! It is reminder to me of God's hand being constantly at work through the changing of the leaves and this transition phase in my life. He is doing something beautiful, intimate, and purposeful through the change.

Jeremiah 29:11 says, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord. 'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.'" For those that are experiencing change or transition and your life feels like chaos trying to prepare for it...know that the One who made you desires to do something just as beautiful through the change as He promises to do wherever your destination may be. He has a divine plan and purpose for you and NOTHING takes Him off guard. He has your back and He is in control even when everything is upside down!
Trusting in His perfect plans for me,

Kar

No comments:

Post a Comment