Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Series of Questions

"Where my gifts and abilities meet the world's need, that is where God wants me to be." Albert Schweitzer

WHAT NOW?
I recently finished writing my first book and now am into a heavy editing stage. "What now?" I asked my mentor during our first phone conversation after completion. I knew I needed a new purpose, a new goal, a new finish line to look forward to and accomplish. Maybe you're there. Maybe you're in a stage of life where you're asking, "What now? What's next, Lord?" I've been there too many times to count in the last couple of years. This is one of the most frustrating and liberating questions in the world. It requires complete dependency on God and an anticipation of what He promises to do.

WHAT BREAKS YOUR HEART AND BAFFLES YOUR MIND?
When I was in Colorado, one of my mentors posed this question. After making a list, my eyes were open in a new way to how the Lord has made me and different directions I should pursue. You can see a portion of my list here. He prayed the question would haunt us. Well, mission accomplished. Every time I ask the Lord what He wants me to do next, I remember this question and look to my list. Jeremiah 29:11 promises that the Lord has good plans to give us a hope and a future. I can rest in that promise, but so often it is hard to trust in His good plans for me right now. I pray this question haunts you until you identify these areas the Lord has wired you for.

WHAT PASSIONS AND GIFTS HAS THE LORD INSTILLED IN ME?
I fail to remember that God has promised good plans for me when I focus on my insecurities instead of His consistent character. In my uncertainty, I run back to my list of what breaks my heart and baffles my mind, and then I look and see the passions and gifts the Lord has given me. The areas where they line up are the areas I need to be pursuing service and work. My job will never fulfill me, but my purpose and motivation behind my task can and will if I am seeking to bring others to the Lord and help instill a passion for Him within them.

HOW AND WHERE CAN I USE THESE FOR HIS GLORY?
I firmly believe that life is an adventure. I'm not talking about high speed chases, guns blazing, James Bond always gets the girl kind of adventures. I'm talking about the twists and turns of daily life, the drastic shifts in direction, the wondering and waiting and hoping. I'm talking about hopping on a train without knowing where you are going, only knowing that you can trust the train to take you somewhere you've never been. That's what trusting Jesus is like, and we should look to our destination with anticipation. Psalm 138:8 says, " The LORD will fulfill His purpose for me; Your love, O LORD, endures forever-- do not abandon the works of Your hands." "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10. The Bible is full of God's promise to fulfill a purpose for us, to place us right where He wants us for His glory. That doesn't always mean that you will enjoy that place. Sometimes it will be a time of growth, challenge, and trusting Him in greater ways. But He will place you there for a purpose. Look for it. Don't miss it!

WHAT'S YOUR PURPOSE?

2 comments:

  1. This post was meant for me today - all of these questions have been on my mind and heart lately. Glad for the reminder that there is a great Planner planning for me : )

    ReplyDelete