Sunday, March 20, 2011

It's Your Life

In the 2003 underwater adventure, Finding Nemo,  a group of seagulls know one word: MINE. I think the sole focus of the seagull accurately reflects the culture to which I belong, a culture focused on "me" and "mine."

"It's my life. I'll do what I want, when I want, and how I want."

Does this sound familiar? Maybe you've said it yourself.

In reality, it is your life. You make choices you have to live with and you say and do things that you are responsible for. But the question becomes...

What are you going to do with it?

Listen to this song "It's Your Life" by Francesca Battistelli from her album My Paper Heart.



"Everyday the choices you make say what you are and who your heart beats for...it's your life." The Bible says in Matthew 6:24, ""No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." You can't serve both yourself and the Lord. You will serve one. Will you be as the single-minded seagulls only able to say, "Mine?" Or will you be like Mary, the mother of Jesus, who, when the angel came to tell her she would bear the Messiah, said, "'I am the Lord's servant,' Mary answered. 'May it be to me as you have said.'" (Luke 1:38)

A statement like that requires a denial of self. Let's face it, we are hardwired to look out for Number 1. Are you willing to surrender the ownership of your life for something better? I pray that daily I become more and more devoted to serving Jesus. I have a long way to go. I can be so selfish and prideful. Nemo's misadventure started with doubting the wisdom of his father. Nemo thought he knew best. It was his life and he wanted to make the decisions. In the end, all he wanted was to swim home. Luckily, he had a father who would do anything to save him. Like Nemo, will you come home to the Father in Heaven who has been waiting and searching for you? Will you stop seeking your own adventure and wait and see the amazing plans the Lord has promised to fulfill in your life?

It's your life. What are you going to do with? Who will people say that you serve?



Photos copyright of Disney. Video contents copyright of Francesca Battistelli

No comments:

Post a Comment